On campus it’s the same, what might appear to be an ideal location might not be suitable for everyone.
If it’s a space that has recently been vacated, ask the staff who used to work there what it was like and why they are moving out?
- Ask about footfall
- Lighting – some people are very concerned about natural light.
- Temperature, what is the heating and aircon like?
- What about noise?
- Is the structure flexible making it easy to adapt to other uses?
- Speak to your IT support team, will it be easy to rewire and get networked to your needs?
- Are there issues of access at certain times of day / year due to other activities in the building?
- Can you get deliveries in easily or are porters available?
- Is there disabled access?
Moving your careers or information service is a bit like moving house. A great location may have some drawbacks, and compromises will have to be made.