It’s been a while since i’ve been here in musing mode so you can guess we are reviewing something at the moment! Yes you guessed it Social Media!
We started with a blog many years ago (and then a revamped blog), then ventured into Facebook and jumped into Twitter. They all seemed to have a purpose and be used, but fads come and go (as do students). Perhaps we need a bit of time to assess what we are doing and why?
Young people seem to be all snapchat and whatsapp, intagramming like their lives depended on it. Is facebook old hat? Was pinterest a passing fad? What’s around the corner?
What do students use and do they want us there?
When you ask students what they use they say Facebook and increasingly Twitter.
Using, as far as a student is concerned seems to be seeing the information in their news feed, not actively participating much. If you are lucky they may click on a link. For us that doesn’t really help – no nice metrics to evaluate, if you don’t like our posts or talk to us how do we know that you are even looking! We feel unwanted and might even give up using something if we can’t measure its use!
So we ask students again what do you use and the answers are the same, and yes they seem to value what we post there but it’s not cool to interact with us. (Fair enough!) Secretly I bet they are all snapchatting but don’t want us getting involved!
So here’s where you my information colleagues come in!
- Has anyone done a social media review – were there any findings or trends you could share?
- What is worth evaluating?
- Is anyone using Twitter lists successfully?
- How are you working with recruiters who want you to post on social media about them?
- Do you have one Twitter or Facebook account or many for different purposes?
- What’s new? Anyone using something that really seems to encourage students to interact with each other and you?
Any intel leave a comment here or on the LinkedIn discussion or Tweet me @MallenSarah